Thursday, December 14, 2006

Flathead Lake Threatened

For the love of money…

It seems that every news story we see these days about global warming mentions Glacier National Park’s receding glaciers. Concerned, well-meaning people want to do something to halt this process, which may or may not be a natural phenomenon. Personally, I don’t have a fixed opinion on this yet because I believe we just don’t know if this is a manmade problem or a natural, cyclic occurrence. Also, it could be argued that there isn’t much we can do to change the weather, but melting Glaciers is not what I’m writing about in this post. Today I’d like to make you aware of a potentially serious environmental threat that we can control… if we choose to do so.

In Canada, a company named Cline Mining Corporation wants to begin a 20 year coal mining operation 22 miles north of Glacier National Park. This area is part of the Flathead River drainage in British Columbia, which means that all runoff from this operation will flow down the North Fork river into Flathead Lake. How cool is that?

In case you didn’t know, coal mining produces pollutants like toxic heavy metals, and such an industrial operation will have no beneficial impact on the already threatened grizzly bear population.

So, let’s make sure I have this right… in the interest of one company’s bottom line, we can potentially destroy the grizzly bear population of this area, the fish ecosystem of the Flathead river and possibly destroy one of America’s last pristine lakes, Flathead Lake. How does that sound to you?

I’m not a political or environmental activist and I don’t see the mission of this blog to involve itself in such public debate, but people P-L-E-A-S-E, can we just once do the right thing? A mountaintop strip mine that will produce toxic runoff is just a bad idea. Period.

You can learn more about this proposed mining operation at http://www.eao.gov.bc.ca/. If anyone asks you. . . .
Just Say NO!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom,
I am having a hard time with that link. I want to read this pretty badly and have somehow managed not to throw my puter thru the window. Could you help a woman out here and repost it for me? Please...just say yes.

Montana Tom said...

Hey Anonymous,
I just tried the link and it worked fine for me. Hopefully there are enough people upset about this plan that the server was choking when you tried to access it. I hope you can get through now. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

There is another good comment on this issue here: http://nationalparkstraveler.typepad.com/national_parks_traveler/2006/12/parks_vs_mining.html

A BC'er said...

Oct. 23,07: Global TV-BC just ran a story and that is how I came here. I had no idea and I wonder how many other people didn't ~ The story was a segment on "In Depth" and it was a story that was due in coming out. It is my understanding that this is still the early talks stage with many approval hurdles ahead. MLA John Van Dongen is the Minister of State for Inter-governmental Relations (he was previously the Minister of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries). Now I couldn't find the email address but you can always write the Premier of BC,Gordon Campbell and ask him to forward to John.

Make Noise!! This piece of land this company wishes to mine should be part of the international parkland... It truely could not be any other way.

Granted the sound of money can seem attractive but the price need not be paid... it is a glorious reflection of nature not ruined by man. Let's leave our greed out of this one and have it declared park land. Just my thought.