Monday, May 28, 2007

Happy Memorial Day

Memorial Day means different things to everyone. For some it is merely the official kick-off of the summer season, while to others it is a solemn day of remembrance. Back in 1982 on this day, the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington, DC was officially dedicated. As a Vietnam Veteran, I was very pleased and proud to see my fallen brethren finally honored. That was a difficult war for America and seeing that memorial for the first time gave me comfort that I had not felt since returning in 1973.

Memorial Day is a time to give thanks for the brave men and women who gave their lives in the cause of freedom. They died so that you and I could live our American Dream. The History Channel has a great video about how Memorial Day evolved. I recommend you take a few minutes and watch this Memorial Day video... and remember.

If today finds you beginning your vacation at Glacier National Park or Flathead Lake... welcome to Montana, we're glad you came to visit. Take a moment today to give thanks for all the men and women who gave their lives so that you and I could enjoy this day in a free America.

No comments: