Thursday, February 21, 2008

Celebrate Glacier

If you have been following the news around here you know that BP America was considering a coal-bed methane project in British Columbia. There was serious and legitimate concern that this project could damage the Flathead River Basin as a result of runoff and pollutants. The river flowing from this area empties into Flathead Lake.

The announcement of this coal-bed methane development in SE British Columbia triggered a major uproar by citizens in NW Montana. It has been in the news and discussed on talk radio for months. Today we received word that the BP America President, Bob Malone, told Senator Max Baucus that they would not be going forward with the project.

In a day and age when protecting the environment and adopting 'green solutions' to global warming is all the rage, this is a welcome decision. It is ironic that in any discussion of global warming, Glacier National Park is always mentioned as an example of one of the casualties of this phenomenon.

Anyway, this is very good news. Someone grab the Champaign!

5 comments:

Carol said...

Please tell me more about Glacier. I’ll be coming from Louisiana to work at McDonald Lodge this summer. Not sure what to pack or expect. But hoping this will be a jump start for the second half of my life, (in my forties). Please do tell me about Glacier.

e2e said...

It has been in the news and discussed on talk radio for months.
In a day and age when protecting the environment and adopting 'green solutions' to global warming is all the rage, this is a welcome decision.
===================================
charles
Montana Alcohol Addiction Treatment

Anonymous said...

Please tell me more about Glacier. I’ll be coming from Louisiana to work at McDonald Lodge this summer. Not sure what to pack or expect. But hoping this will be a jump start for the second half of my life, (in my forties). Please do tell me about Glacier.

===================================
johnson

Auto Auctions

katie said...

I really love this area and when I get a chance to visit I just love staying near the Flathead river also so that my husband can fish there. The trout he brings home are usually amazing! We really like this little lodge there called Historic tamarack lodge. They have all these cute little cabins with BBQs for the fish, and a big fireplace in the main building with a breakfast in the morning. I love how close they are to the park, and when we go to visit in the winter, they are close to all these super-fun snowmobiling trail heads and rent the things too for my husband and the kids.

brook said...

We really like this little lodge there called Historic tamarack lodge. I really love this area and when I get a chance to visit I just love staying near the Flathead River also so that my husband can fish there.

---------
Brook

Sreevysh Corp